Players in Canada living outside of Ontario have access to a great number of safe and trustworthy online casinos. While these casinos are not licensed in the country, they are regulated by trustworthy international bodies such as Malta Gaming Authority (MGA), the Curacao Government, and more.
International (or offshore) online casinos are perfectly legal in Canada. Outside of Ontario, there are no laws prohibiting players from playing on these sites nor are there regulations explicitly prohibiting offshore sites from catering to Canadian players. So, there is nothing to worry about from that perspective.
However, with Canada being a very desirable market, it attracts many gaming operators, and not all of them are on the same level. While there are many top-tier casinos operating in the country, there are also those you would be better off avoiding. Knowing the difference, though, is not always the easiest thing in the world.
The goal of this page is to help you find safe and trustworthy Canadian online casinos offering a good variety of fair games, quality bonuses, quick and hassle-free withdrawals, and everything else that is required for a pleasant, enjoyable, and stress-free gaming experience.
Where in Canada Are Online Casinos Legal?
Online casinos are legal in all of Canada. Players in the country can easily access numerous offshore sites that operate within the country’s gaming laws. As things stand right now, online gambling is under the remit of individual provinces, and so far, only Ontario passed a set of laws regulating this area.
Everywhere else, players can have their pick of online casinos without any restrictions. While there are a few more provinces that offer locally-licensed and regulated casinos, their presence does not prevent international sites from also offering their services. Below, you will find a detailed breakdown the situation with online casinos in Canada.
Ontario Online Casinos
As of April 4, 2022. players in Ontario have access to a number of online casinos powered by major iGaming companies. These operators are fully licensed by the Alcohol and Gaming Commission, adhering to all the laws and requirements set forth by the regulator.
This allows all fans of casino games in the province to enjoy their gaming in a safe and trustworthy environment, guaranteed by the local regulator. Once the new regulation was passed, offshore casinos that used to operate in the province had to either acquire the local license or leave the market.
Ontario-licensed casinos are required to offer different responsible gambling tools, ensuring players have full control over their gaming habits. These tools can be an excellent resource for anyone struggling with gambling addiction or just wanting to take a break from online gambling.
In the same vein, casinos have to follow strict anti-money laundering protocols. This means the operators need to confirm players’ identities and ensure they know where the deposits originate from.
British Columbia Online Casinos
British Columbia introduced its own online casino in 2010, looking to compete with offshore sites targeting Canadian players. The site is owned and operated by the British Columbia Lottery Corporation.
Like other provinces offering CA online casinos, BC does not accept applications from private companies. Instead, the BCLC has the monopoly to offer online casino games.
However, there are many trustworthy offshore casinos also operating in British Columbia, and players can freely sign up with these operators without any problems.
Online Casinos in Manitoba
Manitoba is one of the Canadian provinces that have been offering online casino gambling for some time now. Unlike Ontario, though, casino games here are operated by PlayNow, a site owned by the British Columbia Lottery Corporation.
The BCLC has a monopoly on online gambling in the province and, as of right now, private companies are not allowed to apply for local licenses. Whether this changes in the future and if Manitoba will follow in Ontario footsteps remains to be seen.
In the meantime, international online casinos continue to operate in the province as well without any problems. Until laws are changed, there is nothing preventing these casinos from catering to Manitoba players, nor there is anything in the law that would make it illegal for the residents of the province to play on these sites.
Quebec Online Casinos
In Quebec, players have access to a province-licensed online casino. The casino is powered by Loto-Quebec and it represents a completely legal and regulated option for those looking to try their luck playing some of their favorite casino games.
The site hosts over 200 different titles, a majority of them being slot machines. However, the Loto-Quebec casino also features a limited selection of live dealer games powered by Evolution Gaming, so Canadians in this province have a decent selection of options.
Here, too, private companies cannot apply for a license. Loto-Quebec has the sole right to operate an online casino in the province. But, like elsewhere in Canada, internationally-licensed operators continue to offer their services.
How to Recognize a Safe Online Casino in Canada
As mentioned, there are many offshore sites catering to Canadian players. While the gaming laws in the country are a bit of a murky territory, these sites are not illegal. So, as a player, you need to focus on finding the best and most reliable among these operators, and you can achieve that by sticking to some simple checks:
- Trustworthy international license – look for online casinos licensed by reputable authorities that enjoy the trust of the gaming community. Canadian online casinos licensed by the Malta Gaming Authority are usually the best choice.
- Games from popular providers – big-name game developers like NetEnt, Microgaming, and Play’n GO are careful when choosing their partners. A good selection of games by reputable studios is usually a good indicator of site’s trustworthiness.
- Canada-friendly banking options – Online casinos focused on the Canadian market will offer a variety of payment options popular in the country, such as iDebit and Interac. They also often allow you to deposit, play, and withdraw in CAD.
- Player reviews – reviews and comments by other players can be very telling. If there are many negative comments about an online casino, this is usually a clear sign to stay away.
Why Choose a Reputable Canadian Online Casino
Many offshore casinos catering to Canada players offer big bonuses and many other perks that seem very appealing. However, it is very important to put safety above everything else, as a big bonus or colorful promotions do not mean much if you are not able to withdraw your winnings when it comes to it. Here are a few reasons why you should always stick to reputable online casinos.
- Local banking options: Playing at reputable Canada online casinos, you will have access to many convenient payment options adjusted for the local market. Thus, you will never have problems with deposits or withdrawals. Furthermore, your cashouts will usually process much quicker.
- Responsible gaming: Reputable online casinos take the issue of responsible gambling very seriously. Players have access to a variety of tools to help them control, restrict, and even completely stop their gaming activities.
- Clear bonus terms and conditions. If you stick to reputable casinos, you will always have access to the best, most player-friendly bonuses out there. All rules and conditions will be laid out in a plain language, ensuring there is never any confusion or misundrstanding.
- Dedicated customer support. If you do encounter a problem while playing, reputable casinos will provide access to around-the-clock customer support, allowing you to resolve any issues swiftly and with the minimum effort.
Risks of Playing at Shady Online Casinos
In addition to all the benefits that players get by playing at safe Canadian casinos, there are also some very real risks and dangers connected to shady sites. While users are often oblivious of these risks, they are something that should always be considered when deciding where to play.
- Your money is always at risk: While all of these casinos promise prompt and hassle-free payouts, this is often not the case. Sadly, players only discover this once it is too late and their withdrawal gets stuck in an infinite loop of back and forth emails over a vague problem that does not really exist.
- Total lack of accountability: Being out of reach of local Canadian authorities, offshore casinos can pretty much do whatever they like. If there is ever a dispute raised by the player or a problem caused by the operator, you will need to reach out to the international licensing body, so you need to stick to the sites licensed by trustworthy authorities like the MGA.
- Your personal info can be abused: Many shady casinos are not afraid to look for profits wherever they can find them. This sometimes includes selling off players’ sensitive personal information to the highest bidder.
Types of Online Casino Games Available in Canada
Legal Canada casinos offer a variety of gaming options. Not surprisingly, slots make up the biggest portion of the overall offering, and Canadian players have access to many popular titles, including some progressive jackpot slots.
Live dealer tables are available across all provinces via offshore sites, but some locally-licensed casinos do offer live games like roulette and blackjack. This is also the case for Ontario, the only fully regulated Canadian province that does not allow offshore sites.
Are online casinos legal in Canada?
Yes, online casinos are legal in Canada. Players can enjoy their favorite casino games on many international sites offering their services in the country as well as some locally-licensed operators in several provinces.
Do I have to pay taxes on online casino winnings in Canada?
No, gambling winnings are not taxed in Canada. There may be some exceptions to this rule pertaining to persons identified as professional gamblers, but these are rare cases and not something you should worry about. If you have any doubts, though, we recommend you reach out to a tax professional.
How can I know if a Canadian online casinos is safe?
The best way to make sure you are dealing with a safe Canadian online casino is making sure they are licensed by a trustworthy international agency like the Malta Gaming Authority or a provincial body in charge of regulating online gambling activities.
What types of games are available at legal Canada casinos?
You will find different types of games at legal Canadian casinos, from video slots to live dealer tables. Canadians have access to the full scope of online casino games via numerous international sites operating in the country.